An Amazon.com Inc. worker is in critical condition at a New Jersey hospital after an aerosol can of bear repellent was punctured, spraying fumes in the company’s warehouse in Robbinsville, N.J., a spokesman for the town said.

Fifty-four people reported difficulty breathing as well as burning in their eyes and throats after the incident, which occurred just before 9 a.m. Wednesday. Emergency workers transported 24 people to local hospitals, including one in critical condition, town spokesman John Nalbone said.

The Robbinsville facility, Amazon’s AMZN, -5.87%   first in New Jersey, covers 1 million square feet and has been in operation since 2014. It employs more than 2,500 full-time employees year-round, Amazon spokeswoman Rachael Lighty said.

The town’s health and fire departments cleared the building for re-entry later Wednesday.

An expanded version of this report appears on WSJ.com.

Also popular on WSJ.com:

Gwyneth Paltrow wants to convert you.

China maneuvers to snag top-secret Boeing satellite technology.